it's time for the walls to go up
the walls go up - day two

the walls go up - day one

I got the floor done, and the interior walls glued in place.

I'm using a gorgeous paper for the floor, handmade in the Philippines from salago fibers.  Is it supposed to be carpet, stone, vinyl?  Who knows!  I'll leave that determination to each is in the eye of the beholder.

I had to do a bit of paper surgery before I glued it down.  I lightly traced where the walls sit, then, using an exacto knife and a pair of tweezers, cut and pulled out sections of string like fibers so the walls would sit flush and have maximum surface area for glue adhesion.  I also excised any random bits of bark that stuck up too much.


I'm sure I'll have to remove more sections of string when I put the kitchen cabinetry in, and that they will make furniture placement fussy, but I'll deal with that later.  The paper reminds me of the lines in sand made on the beach by waves, which seems appropriate for a beach house.

I sealed the floor with matte medium, which necessitated a trip to the art supply store, which always takes more time and costs more money than I anticipate.  I enjoyed myself thoroughly.

While the floor was drying I thought I'd better take pictures of the faux pocket door I made, while I still could.

I needed a bathroom door (obviously...ewwww), but didn't have room for a swinging door, so the decision to make a pocket door was easy.  I pondered construction methods, had a wood sandwich all worked out in my head, then picked up a thick piece of MDF from my wood pile and had an epiphany....I didn't need the pocket door to work.  The bathroom is only going to be seen through a window and a open doorway.  I had no plans to close the door and hide the bathroom, therefore I didn't need a door that closed....the actual requirement is the illusion that if the viewer goes into the bathroom they can close the door behind them.

Using my table saw, I cut a groove into the side of the MDF on each side of the doorway, painted the groove black, then glued in a strip of basswoood on one side of the doorway, centered in the groove, to be the edge of the open door.  I glued a wooden strip for a handle on one side of the door, and cut a groove to be a handle on the other side.  I need to figure out latch hardware for the edge yet.


To be realistic I should have made the door thicker, but I needed to leave the gap big enough to cast an adequate shadow to make the pocket door visible.   Here's how it looks in place....




Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.


Nice smoke and mirrors! :D


So innovative! I love it!

Annejuli Valentine

What a great idea! It really does look like a working door. :)


Very nice!

Mom had a bathroom door hung on barn rollers in her room - that would have been another way to do it.

I'm just obsessing over it because I want to use one somewhere in my house, but don't have any bare walls that the door could roll back on.
Life is so hard...

The comments to this entry are closed.