conservatory or boathouse?

First coat of green/gray sanded, then more shading done on the front panels...

20181116_091345

Third or fourth coat of green/gray...

20181116_091345

I put it back into dry fit at this point to show my daughter when she stopped by last Thursday.  She said it looks like a boathouse.

Hmmm....

Not a boathouse, but maybe a small boat repair shop....or rather, the office of one, with the exterior wall of the shop behind it, and a boat or two, outside, to the left.

I could cut the conservatory kit down a bit, removing one set of windows to make it shorter, which would make it fit on the top of my bookcase instead of hanging off the front an inch.

20181116_091345

I'll have to fix the doors.  They only open inward, which I didn't like in the conservatory but decided to live with.  It's a simple fix, I just have to the remove the header that stops them from swinging out.

20181116_091345

While I spent the weekend thinking about it I assembled a dory boat kit.  I purchased it a few years ago for the Tropical Beach House, but didn't have room for it.  I'll show you pictures when I'm done, I've got to make the oars today.

20181116_091345


studio day, all day

I spent the entire day in my studio yesterday, with only a brief respite for a quick but necessary trip to the grocery store.  I am loving unemployment.

My day began with the windows.  I've never liked the mullions in kit windows, they're too thick and out of scale.  Using a cutting wheel in my Dremel I removed most of them.

20181114_091822

I also removed the silly scallop from the top of the ridge trim and replaced it with a piece of 'wrought iron' cut from black plastic fencing pieces I have scads of (thank you, Charlene).  I like it!
20181114_091822

Then  I cut a groove in the top of the walls to insert the wrought iron trim there as well.
20181114_091822

Then I wondered if the remaining section of the fence would fit in the walls...
20181114_091822

...almost....but when trimmed, it does....
20181114_091822

I don't know if I like it or not, I'll have to think about it.

Then I took the house out of dry fit and prepped it for color by sanding it down and wiping it off.

I tested all the inks from my stash (in large bottles) on a piece of scrap basswood.  None of them worked for me, then I remembered I had two bottles of Rit dye left from dying plastic flowers to make succulents for the library roof.  I was imagining a dark grayish green, and the peacock green Rit dye was close.

20181114_170456

Because I'm using a dark color on the exterior I needed to do some shadowing beforehand to keep depth in the details.
20181114_170456

Coat one done, then sanded...
20181114_170456

Coat two drying...  It looks horrible right now, just keep in mind this is early in the process.
20181114_170456

I have to go to the beauty supply store today for more sanding blocks, and run a few errands while I'm out, so I'm not sure how much studio time I'll get today.  But...I don't have to go to work!


dishrack whoas and conservatory planning

For my second attempt at a dishrack for the contest build I constructed the frame to interlock and angled the feet to sit well, favoring stability over accuracy.

20181113_094507


20181113_094507

I used the smallest stripwood I had on hand for the slats.  I contemplated splitting the pieces lengthwise to make them skinnier, but was afraid I couldn't do it cleanly, as the grain of the wood usually directs the split.

It was SO FIDDLY to glue together.
20181113_094507

It's too large.  Sigh.  Not by much, but by enough.  I won't use it.
20181113_094507

I used the last of my tiny stripwood, so can't make another attempt until I restock.  Restocking allows me to buy the size I wanted to work with to begin with, so you'll see this project again, improved.

After I moaned about the dishrack for a bit I played with the conservatory.  I think I've got the layout determined.  There is little square footage, so the more delicate and diminutive the contents the more spacious the interior will appear.

20181113_175421

20181113_175416


20181113_175416


Conservatory

Nancy texted me last week, "Did you see this?"...

Factory-Second-Conservatory-Kit

Fsc

Of course I bought one, I've always wanted to build this kit.

It arrived yesterday and went into dry fit.
Fsc

This is what is wrong....

The roof support beam may be 1/8" too long and need to be cut down.  Mine was fine.
Fsc

Seven of the trim pieces for the roof are too short.  No problem, I can either cut new ones or add a strip along either the top or bottom edge to compensate.

(The missing scallop on the roof ridge trim is my fault, I dropped it.)
Fsc

I'm glad I didn't pay full price.  At full price I'd have expected perfection.  For the discounted price I can live with glue smears and a gap.  Glue smears are especially unwelcome when the instructions tell you to stain instead of paint.  You can't stain glue smears.  Also, wood and MDF don't take stain the same, so boo for combining the two materials.

20181113_075235
20181113_075235
20181113_075235

Also, at full price I would have expected the trim on the columns to be mitered and wrap around the sides.
20181113_075235

While this sits in dry fit I want to finish up the last thing I want in the contest build.  I made a first attempt that went in the trash, but learned what to do to make it right.  I'm building one of these...

2385_XXX_v1

Someone with a laser cutter should make a kit for these.  Hint, hint, Pepper or Shannon...