Granny squares

I know I said I was  going to complete this build with nothing more than items from my stash, but look at these granny squares.

20180510_175649

I envisioned them from the get-go, but can't crochet.  Thank you, Michelle, for the custom order.

20180510_175752

You'll see the only thing I got done was cutting down the sectional (again), reforming the back corner into a curve (air dry clay), and upholstering.  The rounded corner was difficult, there are a couple of obvious diagonal seams in the straight sections, but the afghans cover them.

20180510_185425

A Milo update... Kate's ex-feral kitten is a big marshmallow.

IMG951623


Wandering Spring

Happy May!  Spring is finally here. In April Michigan experienced all the precipitations...snow, rain, sleet, hail, fog...temperatures between 7℉ and 76℉...thunderstorms, blizzards...there was even an earthquake.  It was crazy. 

I've been enjoying the sunshine the past couple of weekends  so haven't done much on the build. I've got a few little odds-and-ends in progress; the only thing finished so far is a wandering jew that I made for the front porch.

20180501_062854


Rumination

 The floor plan I plotted for this build has the kitchen cabinetry corner removable and set back half an inch in depth from the main walls.  I designed it that way so that I would have access for my hands, and for a camera, to the inside of the build.

20180410_185707

I'm now wondering if that's necessary.

20180410_185818

20180410_185809

If I don't glue in the windows I can reach through those openings, like I did with the Mobile Studio build.

I'm also wondering if I can hinge the roof to have multiple sections open.  The two ends on the kitchen side and the middle on the bedroom side.

20180410_191058

Thoughts?


copper, cabinetry, and a glitter bomb

The copper cabinet hardware I selected yesterday didn't appeal to me today.  I want to showcase copper pots in this kitchen, and thought copper hardware would be...competitive?  distracting?  matchy-matchy?  I installed silver hardware instead.

20180408_145219

In the background, in the jig, is the countertop assembly, behind that, compressed in the clamps, is the kitchen sink.

While I was waiting for glue to dry I played with a copper pot.  The notion of discoloring with heat was still piquing my interest.

20180408_095101

The handles on this pot have always troubled me; they're unrealistic.  I tapered the ends with a file....much better.

Then I got out a new candle....cranberry sparkle....Susan sent it to me a few years ago in an October box.  It was in a colored cellophane bag with, surprise, lots of pink glitter.  Now my studio sparkles.  (I hear you snickering, Susan.)

20180408_100052

Heating the pot didn't do a thing.  Then it occurred to me, since it wasn't tarnished, it obviously had a protective coating that needed to be removed.

20180408_100737

Sanded and heating....

20180408_102939

The glitter sparked countertop finish ideas so while the pot was cooking I continued to play...

20180408_102607

My results were not appealing.  I've ideas for improvement, but not the interest to continue on with this experiment.

20180408_145317

This is what the copper pot looked like after I took it off the heat, next to another clean pot.  Um....hmmm....did I make a mistake?

20180408_121228

It looks gorgeous after being wiped down. Yay! It's more distressed than I intended, but I did leave it over the flame for quite a while.

20180408_121510

I was going to discolor the bottom of the other pot, just a bit, but when I started sanding I discovered it's only copper plated, so I ceased monkeying.

Now that playtime is over and the glue has dried let's make sure the countertop and sink fit before I start painting. 

20180408_165534

Oh, thank goodness.  I do need to fuss with the sink hole a smidge to square it up, but that's easy enough.   Not tonight though, I've got some out-of-the-studio tasks to get accomplished.

 


kitchen cart

I ordered stove and extractor fan kits from ELF Miniatures for this build, and added a kitchen cart kit to my order on a whim.  I'm glad I did, it's the perfect place to display one of Charlene's estate pieces, a copper stock pot. 

Would you like to join me for a cup of tea?

DSCN5844

Teapot by Jason Feltrope, mugs by April Wright, blueberry muffins by Liz Brown, owl trivet by Pierluigi Pirovano, towel by Carrie Lavender.

You probably noticed that the right front leg is too short.  I need to pull the top off today to tinker with the legs, obviously I didn't have that one lined up correctly when I glued them on.  Oh...it's more likely I was too exuberant when I sanded paint off the top.

When I first got the copper pot I was going to wash it, it was very dusty and dirty, with what appear to be fingerprint whorls etched into the copper.  I did wipe the dust off, but am going to leave the 'patina' alone, it gives it character and makes it look used.  I'm afraid if I make it shiny it would look fake.  I wonder though, if I can heat discolor the bottom a bit...hmm...probably best not to monkey with it.

DSCN5851

I wanted a different look for the top of the cart, a thick cutting board, so I made my own from cross grain slices of a scrap of pine with great knots.

DSCN5842
DSCN5842

  DSCN5847